Polka Lovers Club of Texas Museum and Hoelscher Haus
Mission: To provide a facility for the preservation of the history of polka music, song and dance with displays of memorabilia associated with the Club; to recognize supporters of the mission, provide a facility where visitors may both listen to and dance polka music; and to operate as an outreach facility for the education of future generations in the promotion of polka music and dance. The PLCTM is a 501(c) 3 non-profit organization located in the restored Hoelscher Haus in the Texas Czech Village on the grounds of the 70-acre Texas Czech Heritage and Cultural Center in La Grange, TX, which opened for visitors on May 13, 2006.
Anton Hoelscher, Sr. and Mary Katherine Daldrop Hoelscher with their family immigrated from Olfen, Germany, in 1846. Children of this marriage who made their home in Texas were Mary, Anton Jr., Joseph (Joe), William, and Ben (Johann Bernard). Anton Hoelscher Jr. married Anna Marie Elizabeth Ahsen-Bruse on April 5, 1847. In the early 1850s, Anton Jr. and his wife, Elizabeth, bought land near Live Oak Hill where they built their first home, a log cabin. They then built two other homes before the turn of the century. One of these homes is now known as the Polka Lovers Club of Texas Museum – Hoelscher Haus. In October 2005, Esther and Henry Hoelscher of Houston made a gift of the Hoelscher Haus to the Polka Lovers Club of Texas Museum. The haus was relocated to the grounds of the Texas Czech Heritage and Cultural Center, Inc., (TCHCC) in La Grange, TX. The haus is of the saltbox architecture with a long porch across the front with two rooms on the lower floor for displays and two rooms upstairs for a music library, storage and exhibit preparation.
Texas Czech Heritage Cultural Center
The Texas Czech Heritage and Cultural Center, Inc., located next to the Fayette County Fairgrounds in La Grange, incorporated on March 24, 1997 and received 501(c) 3 status in July of the same year. Fayette County was selected as the site for the Center because of its significance in the history of Texas Czechs. It has the largest Czech population per capita and the most Czech communities of any county in the state. Many Czech-related historical sites and events, as well as prominent Texas Czechs, can be linked to Fayette County, which has the distinction of having had more immigrants from the Czech lands of the Austro-Hungarian Empire settle there in the second half of the nineteenth century than any other county in Texas. In addition to the Center’s main building which houses a library and museum, the 70-acre property features a Texas Czech Village with buildings donated by Czech and German families, including the PLCTM-Hoelscher Haus, and a 400-seat amphitheater. Learn more…